[Rd] large dataset - confused

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 19:42:17 CEST 2012

On 23/07/2012 18:32, walcotteric wrote:
> I'm trying to load a dataset into R, but I'm completely lost. This is
> probably due mostly to the fact that I'm a complete R newb, but it's got me
> stuck in  a research project.
> I've tried just opening the text file in WordPad and copying the data
> directly into R, but it's too big and causes the program to crash.
>
> Any suggestions or assistance? I'm kinda desperate and lost.

Yes, you are lost. The R posting guide is at
http://www.r-project.org/posting-guide.html and will point you to the
right list and also the manuals (at e.g.
http://cran.r-project.org/manuals.html, and one of them seems exactly
what you need).

BTW, 'large dataset' is meaningless: when I asked a class of Statistics
PhD students the answers differed by 7 orders of magnitude.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk