[Rd] Warning when sourcing file after require

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 19 14:31:54 CEST 2012

On 19/07/2012 12:46, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> I don't see this in R-patched; I don't have 2.15.1 installed on this
> machine.  But the problem appears to be that XML exports a function
> called source() (a generic), and you're using it -- but not the current
> version, which doesn't give the warning.

Whenever you upgrade your R you need to re-install your packages.  And
this is particularly true of noisome packages (mainly using the
'methods' package) which make copies of code from R itself.  XML is a
known example.

conflicts()
update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)

are your friends. E.g.

 > library(XML)
 > conflicts(, TRUE)
$`package:XML`
[1] "coerce" "show"   "source"

$`package:methods`
[1] "coerce"    "show"      "body<-"    "kronecker"

$`package:base`
[1] "body<-"    "kronecker" "source"