[Rd] Problem in vignette packaging of Sweave in utils package

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 19:21:03 CEST 2012

In ?Sweave, it refers to Sweave User Manual. In the doc folder of
utils package, I see "Sweave.pdf".

However, I can't find it from within R

> vignette("Sweave User Manual")
Warning message:
vignette ‘Sweave User Manual’ not found

> browseVignettes("utils")
No vignettes found by browseVignettes("utils")

> library(help=utils)

does not refer to any vignettes.

The vignette does not appear in the main page for utils in help.start().

I checked the source code for the Sweave vignette, but I don't see
anything wrong. It has all of the required elements:

%\VignetteIndexEntry{Sweave User Manual}
%\VignettePackage{utils}
%\VignetteDepends{tools}
%\VignetteDepends{datasets}
%\VignetteDepends{stats}

Am I accessing it incorrectly, or is there something wrong in my
install of R-2.15.1?

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=C                 LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

[1] tools_2.15.1
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science    Assoc. Director