[Rd] ftable.formula

Timothy Bates timothy.c.bates at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 00:17:25 CET 2012

At least this is correct :-)

 ftable(UCBAdmissions, Dept ~ Gender + Admit)

But yes: the formula
ftable(UCBAdmissions, Gender + Admit ~ Dept)

should see "The left and right hand side of formula specify the column and row variables, respectively"

# demo of right-hand side bug

ftable(UCBAdmissions, Gender + Admit ~ Dept) # "Dept" should be in the rows...
                Dept   A   B   C   D   E   F
Admit    Gender
Admitted Male        512 353 120 138  53  22
         Female       89  17 202 131  94  24
Rejected Male        313 207 205 279 138 351
         Female       19   8 391 244 299 317

Also, the example appears not to be a correct use of the "." shortcut.

x <- ftable(Survived ~ ., data = Titanic)
# Error in ftable.formula(Survived ~ ., data = Titanic) :
#  cannot use dots in formula with given data

Also "Survived" should be "survived"
And in this example, all vars should be lower-case

ftable(Sex ~ Class + Age, data = x)