[Rd] factor S4 class is NA when as.character method exists

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 24 18:35:30 CET 2012

On 24/01/2012 17:17, William Dunlap wrote:
> Here is code that does make factor() work on a new
> class like yours.  It uses Sv3 methods.

Which is necessary as unique() is an S3 generic in the base namespace,
and creating some other function named 'unique' elsewhere (which is what
setGeneric does) is ineffective.

>    >  setClass("foo", contains="numeric")
>    [1] "foo"
>    >  as.character.foo<- function(x) paste("x=",x at .Data,sep="")
>    >  unique.foo<- function(x, ...) structure(NextMethod("unique"), class=class(x))
>    >  someFoo<- new("foo", c(11, 13, 11, 13, 12))
>    >  str(factor(someFoo))
>     Factor w/ 3 levels "x=11","x=12",..: 1 3 1 3 2
>
> It would be nice to have a list of methods that one
> needs to define for a new class in order to make it
> do the "basic" things you expect.

It would be nice to have a list of such things ... I suspect they depend
more heavily on the value of 'you' than the class.