[Rd] A: ImportFrom(B, ...) -- B: ImportFrom(A, ...)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 15 08:34:36 CET 2012

It is necessary (in most cases, and as implemented).

When R goes to load the namespace of A, it has to find the objects you
wish to import from B.  Remember that objects in R are not standalone:
they may have shared components and functions have environments, so the
only way to so this is to load the whole of their environment, the
namespace of B.  That would lead to a cycle.

importFrom() differs from import() only in what it copies into A's
'import' environment.

Remember too that namespaces can re-export imports (e.g. S4 generics),
and that loading a namespace may load compiled code which may have
dependencies (your examples do) for which order may matter.