[Rd] Silently loading and Depends: versus NAMESPACE imports

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Jan 11 20:42:39 CET 2012

R CMD check really hates it when my .onLoad() function contains
    suppressMessages(library(foo))

However, _and for non-public packages not going to CRAN_ I prefer doing this
over using explicit Depends or import statements in the NAMESPACE file as the
latter do not give me an ability to make the loading less verbose.  With the
R universe of packages being as vast as at is, a simple (non-public) package
I have loads about five or six other packages explicitly, each of which loads
even more.  The net result is totally intimidating _sixty lines full_ of
verbose noise that is meaningful to me as an R programmer, but not for the
colleagues expected to use the packages. It looks rather uninviting, frankly.

How do I use imports via NAMESPACE, and yet keep the noise level down to zero?

Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx