[Rd] Copying objects prior to .Call

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Jan 11 19:21:05 CET 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Uwe Ligges wrote:

> On 11.01.2012 18:49, Simon Urbanek wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 11, 2012, at 12:08 PM, Taylor Arnold wrote:
>>
>>> R-devel,
>>>
>>> I have noticed that making a copy of an object in R prior to using
>>> .Call on the original object can
>>> cause the C code to alter not only the object passed to it but also
>>> the copy in R.
>>
>> Please see the docs - .Call does *NOT* have a DUP argument - you are responsible for duplication at all times if you make modifications (e.g. using duplicate()).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> A simple example
>>> is:

>>> NULL
>>> [1] 3
>>> [1] 3
>>>
>>> And corresponding simple C code:
>>>
>>> "test.c":
>>> #include<R.h>
>>> #include<Rinternals.h>
>>> #include<Rmath.h>
>>>
>>> SEXP addOne(SEXP input) {
>>>   REAL(input)[0] = REAL(input)[0] + 1;
>>>   return R_NilValue;
>>> }
>>>
>>> I assume that this is simply a result of lazy loading
>
> In addition to Simon: it is "lazy evalution" rather than lazy loading in this case.

It is actually neither. `x` gets evaluated, but the value is shared with `y` because R has no reason to create a copy of identical information until modified. That's why the .Call() code must create a copy if it wants to touch the value that it received. Note that .Call does *not* get `x` itself - it gets a value obtained from the binding of `x` so the only legal way to modify `x` is to assign a value to it. You can try to be more efficieint and check if a value has references to it and prevent copying if it doesn't (see NAMED), but if it does, you have to copy it.

Cheers,
Simon