[Rd] Changed behaviour of 'R CMD INSTALL'

Berwin A Turlach Berwin.Turlach at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 14:16:45 CET 2012

G'day all,

I found the following snippet in the NEWS file for R 2.14.1:

    • R CMD INSTALL will now do a test load for all sub-architectures
      for which code was compiled (rather than just the primary
      sub-architecture).

This seems to have the following (unintended?) consequence:

Most of my machines are running some version of 64-bit Ubuntu and I do
not necessarily have all 32-bit libraries installed on these.  In
particular, the 32-bit TCL/Tk libraries are frequently missing.  Thus,
on such a machine the 32-bit sub-architecture of R does not have the
capability to use TCL/tk and the tcltk package is only installed for the
primary sub-architecture (64-bit).

Until now, I could always install the Rcmdr package on these machine.
However, this is no longer possible in 2.14.1.  Now attempts to install
Rcmdr on such a machine ends with:

    ** testing if installed package can be loaded
    *** arch - 32
    Error : package 'tcltk' is not installed for 'arch=32'
    Error: loading failed
    Execution halted
    *** arch - 64
    ERROR: loading failed for '32'
    * removing '/home/opt/R/R-2.14.1/lib64/R/library/Rcmdr'

Is there a way of installing Rcmdr only for the 64-bit primary
sub-architecture?  Or do I really have to install the 32-bit versions
of the TCL/Tk libraries and then reinstall R from scratch?

Cheers,

	Berwin