[Rd] Private fields in reference classes (was: Private Variables in R5-Classes possible?)

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed Feb 22 20:55:28 CET 2012

(Can we please follow the terminology in the ?ReferenceClasses
documentation.  Creativity is fine but here we need communication)

This has come up (once) before off-list.  It could be made part of
reference classes via a general rewriting that would improve efficiency
as well.  Not imminent, but it would be good to know of other
applications, including why they are useful.

Meanwhile, it could be implemented for a subclass of reference classes,
by adding a special field that lists the private (or public, if you
like) fields, and then implementing  S4 methods for "$"  and "$<-" that
check there for disallowed/allowed names.  As presumably one wants, this
leaves  methods in the class free to use the private fields.

John