[Rd] Jazzing up the Task Views index page

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:34:07 CET 2012

Hi,

In a way, a simple text based system is clean and is consistent with
the plain text requirements of the listservs, and interacting with R
through code/text.  However, for people with different backgrounds, it
can seem unappealing.  I definitely believe your page is more
inviting.

I work at a campus statistical consulting center and we are seeing a
substantial increase in researchers and grad students using R.  We
only recently began supporting R, and one thing I have noticed in both
clients and other consultants relatively unfamiliar with R is that
they often seem to not look beyond the core.  In my opinion, this is
partly responsible for the belief that R is difficult to use or that
task X is easier to do in program Y than in R.  I believe that better
marketing and navigability of the task views (which themselves are
excellent lists of packages relevant to particular disciplines or
applications) can help this perception.

Barry, is this a test/example only or would you plan on keeping
something like that on your site even if it is not adopted for cran
task views?  If it is not adopted elsewhere and you are willing to
maintain it, I would like to link to it.

Very nice work!

Cheers,

Josh