[Rd] OpenMP and random number generation

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 13:23:54 CET 2012

On 22/02/2012 08:23, Mathieu Ribatet wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Now that R has OpenMP facilities,

Hmm, not exactly new.

> I'm trying to use it for my own package but I'm still wondering if it
is safe to use random number generation within a OpenMP block. I looked
at the R writing extension document  both on the OpenMP and Random
number generation but didn't find any information about that.

> Could someone tell me if it is safe or not please ?

Using threads in compiled code called from R (e.g. pthreads or OpenMP)
is 'for experts only': we do not document which parts of R are or are
not thread-safe except via making the sources available.  If you need to
ask then it is not safe for you, and in particular it would be unsafe to
call Get/PutRNGstate.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk