[Rd] Jazzing up the Task Views index page

Hadley Wickham hadley at rice.edu
Tue Feb 21 15:35:06 CET 2012

> Anyway, I did say that Task Views were rather brilliant, but were let
> down by their hidden position on the R web sites (tucked away as the
> third element of a sub-menu of a CRAN mirror site linked to by the
> CRAN link from the Download menu on the main R home page). The index
> page is rather plain, so I designed a more engaging one. The result of
> my effort is now here:
>
> http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/R/TaskViews/
>
> Having done that, I even considered that something like that could
> replace the R Homepage. Giving new visitors an idea of the vast range
> of techniques and application areas available in R would seem to be
> better than the current graphic which has been there since perhaps
> 2004.
>
> Comments, thoughts, flames, etc?

I think it would be more appealing if you used the same sized image
for each category.  (And at least you should provide width and height
attributes so layout can complete before the images are loaded)

You might also want to consider using something like
http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/ for nicer default font sizes etc.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/