[Rd] Jazzing up the Task Views index page

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at uibk.ac.at
Tue Feb 21 15:11:24 CET 2012

Barry,

thanks for the ideas and the suggestion of a more interesting title page
for the task views. Just a few comments from me as the person coordinating
the task views on CRAN:

o The design of CRAN task view presentation/installation was chosen to be
parallel to CRAN package presentation/installation. In particular, the
task views are mirrored with the rest of CRAN and all links refer to the
locally available package pages. Also, installation can be done from any
repository.

o While this is good for distributing web services, it limits the
possibilities in terms of web design. In think that the CRAN maintainers
do not use Javascript, for example.

o Personally, I like the images used but I could imagine that some
maintainers would prefer different pictures (e.g., a different
visualization of a posterior for the Bayesian task view). But if the
maintainers choose the images, it would be harder to assure a consistent
design, I guess.

So there are some practical caveats when implementing such an approach.
Certainly nothing insurmountable but maybe not very straightforward
either. In any case, I will keep the "ctv" tools in sync with the general
approach taken by CRAN.

Best,