[Rd] text(1:10, col=NA) is printed in color 1 instead of color 0 (was "is not transparent")

Peter Ruckdeschel peter.ruckdeschel at itwm.fraunhofer.de
Mon Feb 20 19:16:42 CET 2012

Am 20.02.2012 15:22, schrieb Kasper Daniel Hansen:
> Peter,
>
> not all devices support transparency.  My guess is that you are
> plotting to a device which does not, but it is hard to know from your
> email.
>
> Kasper

In the meantime Kasper and I had some mail exchange offline.

@Kasper: thanks again for your explanations and hopefully it is oK
         for you if I put this clarifying online

It seems my original subject was a bit misleading, as I am not
really interested in achieving transparency (which I know is
system-dependent) but rather in the behavior, that

text(<some input>, col = NA)

should not do anything --- or, more useful, if you have vectorized input
and col is vectorized, too, the NA-coordinates are not printed (as is
what I read from the help page to par() ).

The non-printing behavior is achievable already with 0 color values, and
with named color "transparent", but not for NA-values.

This effect seems to be device independent, at least I have checked it
for the windows, pdf, and jpeg devices under Windows and in the default
graphics device under Linux.

Any suggestions welcome,
Peter