[Rd] Parallel R CMD check?

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Fri Feb 17 19:19:47 CET 2012

On 02/17/2012 01:42 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On 17/02/2012 06:50, Martin Morgan wrote:
>> Running R CMD check on a package can take quite a lot of time. Checks
>> seem like they could be run in parallel (separate processes for, e.g.,
>> codoc, examples, tests, ...). Is there a way to do this? My current
>> usage is typically
>>
>> R CMD build <pkg>
>> R CMD check pkg_x.y.z.tar.gz
>>
>> Thanks for any hints,
>
> Not at present. It would need a lot of re-organization of the check.R
> code to collect output and present it in a reasonable order. I rather
> doubt is worth the effort: most of us with machines with large numbers
> of cores are not just checking one package at a time, and for many
> packages with long check times it is one aspect of the check which takes
> most of the time.

OK thank you. My own 'issue' is that the package takes ~ 20s to load
(because of dependencies). The check process seems to load the package
at least 10 times, so 200s in package loading. I'm thinking of this from
a package developer perspective, rather than checking many packages.
Obviously from my end I can work to reduce the dependencies (and their

Martin

--
Computational Biology
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center