[Rd] executable files R package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 16:14:25 CET 2012

On 13/02/2012 2:36 PM, sahir bhatnagar wrote:
> I am in the process of creating a package in R which calls
> pre-compiled C code i.e. '.exe' files in Windows.
>
> Since CRAN will not accept packages with binary code files, what are
> my options to meet the requirements while still including the
> executable file?

I think you should ask the CRAN administrators that, but my
understanding is that they are unlikely to accept your package as
described.  CRAN is interested in platform-neutral packages, and if you
have an .exe, you're going to be Windows-only.

If you include the source code for that .exe and put together the
Makefile to compile it, then they'd be more receptive, and someone might
offer help to get it to run on other platforms if it doesn't on your
first attempt.

If you don't want to include the .exe source (or can't), I think you
should just publish it on your own web page.

Duncan Murdoch