[Rd] R CMD SHLIB in Windows XP - No output at all

Lorenzo lorenzo.lucido at asia.bnpparibas.com
Tue Feb 14 01:09:23 CET 2012

Hello all,

I'm trying hard to make R CMD SHLIB work on Windows XP (32-bit) - please
note that I don't have the admin rights on the computer.
In terms of setup, I have followed the procedure :
=> installed Rtools 2.14
=> changed my path :
PATH=C:\Trading\R\RTools\bin;C:\Trading\R\RTools\MinGW\bin;C:\Trading\R\R-2.14.1\bin\i386;C:\WINDOWS\system32;%OTHER_PATHS%

But when I try R CMD SHLIB *.* I have litterally nothing, no output at all.
(and R CMD INSTALL debug tells me, of course that the operation failed while
calling R CMD SHLIB)
I tried the command R CMD SHLIB -n, which gives me :
make -f "C:/Trading/R/R-2.14.1/etc/i386/Makeconf" -f
"C:/Trading/R/R-2.14.1/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB= OBJECTS=

So I had a closer look at these two files, and found some strange things in
Makeconf, for example a variable LOCAL_SOFT with a d: path which has nothing
to do with my configuration :
LOCAL_SOFT = d:/RCompile/CRANpkg/extralibs/local

Ok, the thing is, my Makeconf is strange, but when I actually use the
""" make -f "C:/Trading/R/R-2.14.1/etc/i386/Makeconf" -f
"C:/Trading/R/R-2.14.1/share/make/winshlib.mk" SHLIB= OBJECTS=  """
directly in the command prompt, it works more or less.
I managed to build a simple dll based on C code (convolve2.dll, from the
example), but couldn't build any dll based on c++ code.

Is my SHLIB properly set up ? Why do I have a strange Makeconf ? Should I
try to find a proper version of the file ? or reinstall R ?

Does anyone have any idea how to fix that ?
Been trying to fix it for a long time now !

Thanks in advance !

Lorenzo