[Rd] Using custom R_LIBS with R CMD install

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.tu-dortmund.de
Wed Feb 8 19:26:04 CET 2012

On 07.02.2012 19:13, Hadley Wickham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Am I using the correct syntax to set a custom R_LIBS when running R
> CMD INSTALL from the command line?
>
> I get:
>
> R_LIBS=/Users/hadley/R-dev R CMD INSTALL aL3xa-rapport-08e68ca/
> # Desktop : R_LIBS=/Users/hadley/R-dev R CMD INSTALL aL3xa-rapport-08e68ca/
> # * installing to library ‘/Users/hadley/R’
> # ERROR: dependency ‘ascii’ is not available for package ‘rapport’

I wonder it works that far. It won't for me on Windows nor Linux,
because system2 passes the whole thing shQuoted to the shell. Hence it
is highly shell dependent what happens with the ill formed command.

Whay not specify --library= in R CMD INSTALL if you are calling it
programatically from R anyway?

Uwe