[Rd] Crash in R using embedded.

oliver oliver at first.in-berlin.de
Wed Feb 1 18:38:42 CET 2012

Hello,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 10:24:23AM -0500, Dave Pugmire wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to R, and am trying to embed R into another application.
> I'm calling gev.fit() from the ismev package, and it is crashing somewhere
> inside it.
> gdb is not catching it, and valgrind is not showing any memory corruption
> issues.
[...]

valgrind? *shudder*  ;-)

> I suspect it's memory corruption, because it doesn't crash in exactly the
> same spot each time.
> I'm running R 2.12.2 on a 64 bit linux (Ubuntu 10.04)
[...]

You could analyze the coredump with gdb, if you allow one to be written.

On Ubuntu the default is to set core size to 0 Bytes,
so a crash will be silent.
(I think this is also true on some (most? all?) other Linux distributions).

You need to change this behaviour and then you might get some progress
in your debugging attempts.

Ciao,
   Oliver