[Rd] reinterpreting externalptr in R

romain at r-enthusiasts.com romain at r-enthusiasts.com
Wed Dec 26 22:04:02 CET 2012

Andre,

For Rcpp, you can use the XPtr class template. Say you want to deal
with pointers to Foo. You can create an R external pointer like this:

SEXP create_xp_foo(){
     Foo* foo = new Foo ;
     XPtr<Foo> xp( foo ) ;
     return xp ;
}

Now, "xp" is an R external pointer, i.e. a SEXP of type EXTPTRSXP, that
you can send back to the R side. This constructor assumes ownership of
the pointer, so when the SEXP is no longer protected, it becomes
candidate for garbage collection, and then the finalizer deletes the
object using C++ delete operator. The XPtr template lets you control
these finalizers. We can discuss further if you want to know more.

If you then send it back to the C++ side, you can get back the Foo
pointer like this:

SEXP use_foo( SEXP xp ){
     XPtr<Foo> foo(xp);
     // conversion operator
     Foo* p_foo = foo ;
     do_whatever( p_foo ) ;
     return R_NilValue ;
}

The XPtr template defines C++ operators so that the XPtr<Foo> object
can be converted to a Foo*.

You can find details about the XPtr template in Rcpp documentation or
perhaps just reading the source at r-forge:
https://r-forge.r-project.org/scm/viewvc.php/pkg/Rcpp/inst/include/Rcpp/XPtr.h?view=markup&root=rcpp

This simply builds on the macros that the R api offers, so perhaps
"writing R extensions" or "R internals" are good sources of information.

Romain