[Rd] reinterpreting externalptr in R

andre__ dietrich at ivs.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Dec 25 12:39:03 CET 2012

Hi,

I am using swig to build a wrapper for an c-function to use it in R. I would
like to define a generic function, which gives back a void pointer. On the R
side, I know what this pointer is pointing to, whether it is an integer or
an string, or something else... but I need to somehow reinterpret the
resulting "externalptr" into another form...

a function that looks like the following:

*void* test(){
    std::string str="test";
    return str.c_str();
}*

when I call this from R:

*str <- test()
typeof(str) % result is: "externalptr"*

how could I reinterpret this to a charcterarray, to a numeric, to list, or

Thanks for any suggestions ;)