[Rd] Download R

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Mon Dec 17 03:33:19 CET 2012

On Dec 16, 2012, at 8:05 PM, Charlotte Maia <maiagx at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Fedora 10.
> I need to update my computer's R version.
> I apologise if this has come up before.
>
> The Debian and Ubuntu download links appear reasonably up to date.
> The Suse download links appear almost up to date.
> Unfortunately, the Fedora download links are from 2008/2009.
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/
>
> Should the Fedora links be removed or updated?

Fedora has, for several years now, offered R via the normal Fedora yum repos. Thus, the RPMs are no longer on CRAN. The same for RHEL via the EPEL.

That being said, I presume that you are aware that Fedora 10 was EOL'd back in late 2009. Thus, you have not had any bug fixes, patches, security updates, etc. for 3 years, which tends to obviate the reason for using Fedora, which is a bleeding edge Linux distribution.

Fedora only supports a given release for around 18 months and the current stable release is Fedora 17. I would advise you to upgrade your Fedora version. Once you have, you can use:

  yum install R

from the CLI as root to install R.

Also, there is a dedicated e-mail list for R on Fedora: