[Rd] R-2.15.2 changes in computation speed. Numerical precision?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 08:01:19 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Yi (Alice) Wang <yi.wang at unsw.edu.au> wrote:
> I have also encountered a similar problem. My mvabund package runs much
> faster on linux/OSX than on windows with both R/2.15.1 and R/2.15.2. For
> example, with mvabund_3.6.3 and R/2.15.2,
> system.time(example(anova.manyglm))

Hi, Alice

You have a different problem than I do.

The change from R-2.15.1 to R-2.15.2 makes the program slower on all
platforms.  The slowdown that emerges in R-2.15.2 on all types of
hardware concerns me.

It only seemed like a "Windows is better" issue when all the Windows
users who tested my program were using R-2.15.0 or R-2.15.1. As soon
as they update R, then they have the slowdown as well.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director