[Rd] Generate .Rout.save files for vignettes

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:27:42 CET 2012

On 12-12-11 9:41 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> But note that this was added at the request of one package author.  We
> don't generally recommended it, not least as people do not take
> sufficient care about platform differences and keeping such output up to
> date.  So people (including authors) tend to simply ignore a mass of
> differences.
>
> It is better to craft tests with controlled output (and chosen number of
> significant digits) if you want to check package printed output.

This seems like a useful test for a package developer, but maybe not for
package users (or for CRAN, if the developer wants to work in a
non-standard locale).

I wonder if there's a way to make it easy to use locally, without
inconveniencing everyone else?  Perhaps it should simply default to not
being done, with an environment variable flag set to enable it.

Duncan Murdoch