[Rd] small issue with over-zealous clean.

Hin-Tak Leung htl10 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 9 22:13:22 CET 2012

--- On Sun, 9/12/12, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:

> On 9 December 2012 at 18:17, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> | Noticed a problem for a while - tests/testit.Rd,
> tests/ver20.Rd are removed on "make clean" unintentionally.
> |
> | This seems to come from a change in tests/Makefile.in,
> which adds the line:
> |    - at rm -f *.tar.gz *.Rd back in May 2012.
> |
> | -----------
> | commit c4d70254e7b7f9d7ed17faecfb3097195d852ddc
> | Author: ripley
> <ripley at 00db46b3-68df-0310-9c12-caf00c1e9a41>
> | Date:   Sun May 27 09:04:41 2012 +0000
> |
> |     fix some issues seen by examining
> no-segfaults.Rout
> |
> |     git-svn-id: https://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk@59451
> 00db46b3-68df-0310-9c12-caf00c1e9a41
> | ----------
> |
> | svn users probably don't notice files are unintentionally
> removed; git-svn does complain about version-controlled
> files being missing during rebase (i.e. re-applying local
> private patches to an updated upstream).
>
> svn marks missing files via a '!' (and unknown/unexpected
> files with a '?'):
>
> edd at max:~/svn/r-devel/tests$ svn st
> ?       Makefile
> !       ver20.Rd
> ?       Native/Makefile
> ?
>    Examples/utils-Ex.Rout.fail
> ?       Examples/Makefile
> !       testit.Rd
> ?       Embedding/Makefile
> edd at max:~/svn/r-devel/tests$
>
> Do you REALLY think svn would not know about missing
> files?  There does not
> seem to be a limit on the disdain for svn among git users.
> Fascinating.
>
> Dirk

Sorry about the over-sight on subversion - to be honest I have not been using subversion itself at all, since I am happier with git-svn (entirely my own opinion). That said, please do not distract the issue - a small bug was introduced back in May which you seem to corroborate.

Thanks for confirming the issue being also seen with subversion, nonetheless.

I know a few number of people who are happier with bzr, darcs, mercurial. That doesn't really say much about anything.

Hin-Tak