[Rd] include dll in R-package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 31 14:33:16 CEST 2012

On 30/08/2012 16:59, LIYING HUANG wrote:

> One very simple question, probably not appropriate to post this to rdevel list,
> I put all Fortran files in src, when I do R CMD check, it tries to compile
> the files by alphabetical order. I tried to modify Makevar, but no luck
> after staring at the manual for hours. It seems that I could use R CMD SHLIB
> as following to compile the codes first to get around this problem before
> doing "R CMD check", but I am curious how to specify the file compilation order
> in Makevar? Thanks!

Well, it is in the manual you stared at ....  However, for Fortran the
order of compilation never matters.   If you have Fortran90 modules, it
may and that is why Makefiles can have dependencies.

1) You can set OBJECTS to set the order.

2) To avoid problems with parallel makes you should set dependencies, e.g.

constants.o: error_handler.o

or more likely some module file.

Beyond that, R-devel is indeed not the place for a tutorial on Makefiles
and compilation.