[Rd] stack overflow? was Re: [R] segfault in gplots::heatmap.2

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu Aug 30 21:54:25 CEST 2012

On Aug 30, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Martin Morgan <mtmorgan at fhcrc.org> wrote:

> I think this belongs on R-devel and I'm forwarding there.
>
> Here's a more refined example
>
>  library("XLConnect")
>  load(file="ddr.Rda")
>
>  oV <- function(x) {
>      if (is.leaf(x)) {
>          return(x)
>      }
>      for (j in seq_along(x)) {
>          b <- oV(x[[j]])
>      }
>  }
>
>  res <- oV(ddr)                      # segfault for me under 2.15.1
>  str(ddr)                            # segfault more reliably
>
> 'ddr' is a dendrogram produced from Andreas' original object at the point where heatmap.2 calls 'reorder'. 'oV' is a reduced version of the internal function in reorder.dendrogram.
>
> Simple changes to oV above have interesting effects, e.g., removing {} in the 'if' and 'for' mean that the segfault labelled at 2.15.1 does not occur.
>
> Under R-devel, valgrind complains about Java (I think this is a red herring) and then
>

> 14604== Can't extend stack to 0x7fef03370 during signal delivery for thread 1:
> ==14604==   too small or bad protection modes
>
> which likely indicates stack overflow.
>
> gdb shows that we're several 1000's of calls down when the segfault occurs.
>
> I think R overflows its stack, and that rJava just makes that more likely to occur. I don't really know how to investigate a stack overflow further.

In general, the moment you load Java, stack checking is disabled, because that turns the R process into a multi-threaded application so the stack is no longer guaranteed at a fixed location. Guarding the stack is messy enough without threads, but it becomes close to impossible with threads.

If you have stack checking enabled, it gets caught:

>  str(ddr)                            # segfault more reliably
[...]
                                                                                           |--leaf "124"
     |  |  |                                |                 |                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        `--Error: C stack usage is too close to the limit

Cheers,
Simon