[Rd] Hidden files in source packages

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 27 09:46:00 CEST 2012

R-devel has been warning for some time about hidden files (in the Unix
sense, starting with a period) in source packages.   We could get R CMD
build and the CRAN incoming scripts to remove these *if* we knew that
they were never needed.

It seems clear that

.Rapp.history
.Rhistory
.Rbuildindex.xxxxx
inst/doc/.build.timestamp

are R leftovers,

._.DS_store

is from an Apple filesystem and

.tex .log .aux .pdf .png

are junk (as file names, not extensions).

However, is there ever any reason for any of

.Renviron
.Rprofile
.Rproj.user
.backups
.cvsignore
.cproject
.directory
.dropbox
.exrc
.gdb.history
.gitattributes
.gitignore
.gitmodules
.hgignore
.hqtags
.htaccess
.latex2html-init
.project
.seed
.settings

to be in a source package tarball?  (For some of these it is not clear
where they come from since there are multiple possible origins.)

If you know of a reason to retain any of these, please let
CRAN at r-project.org know (with 'Hidden files' in the subject line).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk