[Rd] GPU Computing

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 21 23:10:44 CEST 2012

Oops, sent to the wrong list (again), sorry.

Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:54:48 -0700
From: Norm Matloff <matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu>
To: r-sig-hpc at r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-hpc] GPU Computing

Peter Chausse wrote:

> I am looking for a function similar to mclapply() that would work with
> GPU cores. I have looked at all possible packages related to GPU...

The short answer is no.

Functions like mclapply() work on, say a quad core machine, by setting
up new invocations of R to run on each of the four CPU cores.  What you
have in mind would mean having R run on each of the GPU cores.  This is
not possible, for a variety of reasons (R needs a terminal shell, it
needs I/O etc.).

To have R take advantage of GPUs, one must write C/C++ (or FORTRAN)
code.  Currently packages that do this are very limited.  See the
relevant CRAN Task View, at

http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/HighPerformanceComputing.html

You might also take a look at my Rth package, at

http://heather.cs.ucdavis.edu/~matloff/rth.html

Norm Matloff