[Rd] url, readLines, source behind a proxy

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 17:39:00 CEST 2012

On 18/04/2012 16:04, Joshua Ulrich wrote:
> Hi Renaud,
>
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Renaud Gaujoux
> <renaud at mancala.cbio.uct.ac.za>  wrote:
>> Hi Henrik,
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Could anybody behind a proxy check if the issue can be reproduced?
>> My proxy is in fact provided by cntml, which acts as a local proxy that
>> takes care of tricky authentication protocols with the actual university
>> proxy, not natively supported by my system (Ubuntu). Anybody in this case?
>>
> I can replicate this on a WinXP system, where I normally have to use
> the --internet2 flag to get internet access through a proxy.
>
> ?download.file has a section on "Setting Proxies", which describes how
> to use environment variables to set proxy information.  Setting
> http_proxy='http://my.proxy.com/' was enough for me to get R CMD
> check to run successfully with the --as-cran flag.

I guess that the simplest way on Windows is to ensure that --internet2
is set.  In R-patched there is a new environment variable
R_WIN_INTERNET2 which lets you do that (set it in ~/.R/check.Renviron).

[Setting proxies is so 20th century -- even moderately competent
sysadmins worked out how to use transparent caching proxies ca 1995.
Which is why the R developers give it a low priority.]