[Rd] Column(row)wise minimum and maximum

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Thu Apr 19 22:14:35 CEST 2012

S+ has such functions with a slightly different naming convention:
it puts an 's' after each function.  E.g., colMaxs instead of your
colMax.

 "colMaxs"      "colMeans"     "colMedians"   "colMins"      "colProds"
 "colQuantiles" "colRanges"    "colStdevs"    "colSums"      "colVars"
 "rowMaxs"   "rowMeans"  "rowMins"   "rowRanges" "rowStdevs" "rowSums"   "rowVars"

It also has a similar family of functions with 'col'/'row' replaced by 'group'
to handle common calls to tapply(split(x,group),summaryFunc)
  "groupAlls"       "groupAnys"       "groupMaxs"       "groupMeans"      "groupMins"
  "groupProds"      "groupRanges"     "groupStdevs"     "groupSums"       "groupVars"
and lower level versions of those called "igroup<Summarys>" where the
group vector must be a vector of small positive integers (like tabulate's
input, while the 'group<Summarys>' are like table and coerce group to be
a factor).

They certainly don't need to be in the base product, but they are handy.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com