[Rd] Vignette questions

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Thu Apr 12 22:07:53 CEST 2012

If R-forge gives the warning, it is likely to be their configuration
problem (they may be running R CMD check on the original source
directory instead of the tarball), so it is better to report to
R-forge admins directly.

I believe Terry is correct and it is a better practice *not* to put
PDF vignettes under version control when they can be automatically
generated.

If vignettes are too complicated, I would suggest not to use vignettes
in a package at all. You can put a fake vignette in the package and
point to the real vignette elsewhere. You may see my knitr package for
example: http://cran.r-project.org/package=knitr I have a dozen of
real "vignettes" but they are not under ./inst/doc/ but under
./inst/examples/. They will not take CRAN any time to check or build,
but I can use them to check if my package works fine on them locally.
After I release a new version to CRAN, I build PDF vignettes and
upload to Github (https://github.com/yihui/knitr/downloads) so users
who do not want to build by themselves can download them directly.

So l'd like to propose to free CRAN from the burdensome tasks of
checkings if you can do it by yourself:
http://yihui.name/knitr/demo/vignette/

Regards,
Yihui