[Rd] R-2.15.0 and Exporting Methods Converted To S4 Generic

Roebuck,Paul L proebuck at mdanderson.org
Thu Apr 12 20:41:02 CEST 2012

Late to the show on this release, unfortunately.
One of our production packages no longer builds under R-2.15.0
with the following message.

** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error: Function found when exporting methods from the namespace
'SuperCurve' which is not S4 generic: 'image'

Possibly relevant clues follow:

## From R/AllGenerics.R
if (!isGeneric("image")) {
    setGeneric("image",
               function(x, ...) standardGeneric("image"))
}

We have done the same for many S3 generics, converting them
to S4 and adding specific method-combinations as such...

## From various other R files...
setMethod("image", signature(x="RPPA"), ...
setMethod("image", signature(x="RPPADesign"), ...

And then exported them for use outside the package.

## NAMESPACE
import(methods)
importFrom("graphics", image)

exportClasses(....)
exportMethods(image)

If the problem is because of the exportMethods(), I'm left
stumped as to how to work around this. Making our S4 objects
useable externally was kind of the point.

Source package available, if needed.

oompa <- "http://bioinformatics.mdanderson.org/OOMPA/2.14"
download.packages("SuperCurve", destdir=".", repos=oompa, type="source")