[Rd] S4 method dispatch

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Sun Sep 18 12:33:09 CEST 2011

As a follow-up, I managed to isolate the problem I sent earlier this
week, and reduced it to a small case (I'm using R 2.13.1,
i486-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)).

The following script does what I expect:

setClass("A", representation(x = "numeric"))
setClass("AB", representation("A"))

setGeneric("doNothing<-", function(obj, value)
  standardGeneric("doNothing<-"))

setReplaceMethod("doNothing", c("A", "character"),
  function(obj, value) obj)

x = new("AB", x = 10)
doNothing(x) = "irrelevant"
class(x)

setAs("AB", "A", function(from) new("A", x = from at x))
x = new("AB", x = 10)
doNothing(x) = "irrelevant"
class(x)

and results in class(x) being "AB".
However, the following, very similar script:

setClass("A", representation(x = "numeric"))
setClass("AB", representation("A"))

setGeneric("doNothing<-", function(obj, value)
  standardGeneric("doNothing<-"))

setReplaceMethod("doNothing", c("A", "character"),
  function(obj, value) obj)

setAs("AB", "A", function(from) new("A", x = from at x))

x = new("AB", x = 10)
doNothing(x) = "irrelevant"
class(x)

returns "A" as the class of x. Why is this the case? Is this behaviour
intentional?

Best regards,

--
Edzer Pebesma