[Rd] Link between Qt GUI and R

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Sep 11 19:09:22 CEST 2011

On 11 September 2011 at 03:30, typhoong wrote:
| hi,
|
| i want to build a Qt front-end GUI which communicates with R, and i am not
| sure what i should use for the interface. There seems to be many ways:
| R.dll, Rinside, Rcpp, RQt, Rtools... . what is the best way? please advice.
|
| basically what i want to do is that, the Qt GUI will allow users to make
| selection and enter numbers, these inputs will be fed to R, already written
| .R files will perform the calculations, the calculation results
| (graphs/numbers) to be fed back and display in the GUI.

There is a complete (and working :) example in the RInside package. The
design used in that application is to have a main C++ program (written with
Qt) with happens to 'have R inside' --- which Rcpp and RInside facilitate.

RInside is on CRAN as well as on my site at

   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/rinside.html

and I blogged about this example at

   http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/03/25#rinside_and_qt

As Simom mentioned, you can go the other way with keeping R as the core part
and extending via R via the qtbase / qtgui / ... project inside the GGobi
sources on github:

   https://github.com/ggobi

Dirk

--
Two new Rcpp master classes for R and C++ integration scheduled for
New York (Sep 24) and San Francisco (Oct 8), more details are at