[Rd] Non-free packages in CRAN

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Fri Nov 18 17:10:49 CET 2011

Jordi,

I think you are misunderstanding a few things here. First, "R" doesn't endorse anything - it is a program, it does what you tell it to do. Second, whoever runs R-forge doesn't endorse the packages hosted on it, either. It's just an infrastructure, with no claim about endorsement of the package hosted there (just like github, sourceforge etc. don't say anything about the software hosted there). Third, LGPL is a GNU license and also a open source license (in fact far more free than GPL - see "Software Licenses" on GNU pages). If anyone shared your interpretation, there would be no GNU/Linux since glibc is LGPL licensed and so are parts of gcc (and hence according to your argument neither can be a GNU project). Note that a lot of GNU libraries are licensed under LGPL.

The fact that you personally may not like licenses other than GPL is completely irrelevant. There are many other open source licenses and there is nothing wrong with using them. It is entirely up to the developer to decide how they feel about their code - whether they want it to be restricted by GPL or more free with some other open source license. Instead of forcing our views on users, we are empowering them to filter packages according to the license they feel comfortable with.

As for giving access to proprietary software - I think the argument is the exact opposite of what you are saying. By having the ability to leverage functionality (be it proprietary) that doesn't exist in R/Octave/.., you are making the free software stronger. If people realize that it is a desirable functionality, then they will create a free alternative since only a part of the community can use it. However, if such link did not exist, then users may choose to abandon the free software and use a commercial product instead (AFAIR in your example it was Matlab that has a link to Mosek). That would also weaken the possibility of a free alternative for the package.

Cheers,
Simon