[Rd] R Development Center(s)

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Mon Nov 14 21:43:11 CET 2011

A while ago our institute was approached by a large company, say XXX,
who asked whether we would like to become an Xxx development center, as
we are active in the same area. After some negotation we did, believing
there will be mutual benefits.

Some time later, after putting up the Xxx development center logo on
the institute home page, my feeling grew that we are also, and probably
to a larger extent, an R development center. However, this information
is very hard to find out from the institute web site, particularly for
prospective students who may not start off by looking at publication
records. Identity, marketing, and logos are important these days.

I realize there are many R Development Centers around the world. I wrote
about what we (now) think makes us an R Development Center, at:

http://giv-wikis.uni-muenster.de/agp/bin/view/Main/RDevelopmentCenter

and I asked someone to develop a logo (two actually, one with CENTER,
one with CENTRE). I believe it would be good for R if more R Development
Centers would make explicit somehow that they are R Development Center,
and maybe that a list of such centers can be found somewhere. We could
use http://pad.ifgi.de/rdc as a start. Open source style, please feel
free to reuse or modify the logo or ideas, and take the concept lightly.

Next thing, when I'm concerned, would be to organize an RDC student of
the year award.

Any reactions welcome. With best wishes,
--
Edzer Pebesma
http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      e.pebesma at wwu.de