[Rd] Error in gzfile(file, mode) when checking a package with rcmd check

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 20:27:03 CET 2011

On 11-11-06 1:59 PM, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
> Le 06/11/2011 19:47, Milan Bouchet-Valat a écrit :
>> Le dimanche 06 novembre 2011 à 19:31 +0100, Patrick Giraudoux a écrit :
>>> Means "Mes documents" seems not to be the real cause, but the "On
>>> Work" directory. However, replacing "On Work" by "On_work" gives a
>>> failure as before. Conclusion: looks like if the "space" character is
>>> not the problem, but the length of the path or the number of embedded
>>> directories (?).
>> Is "On Work" the actual name, or a translation? Accentuated characters
>> are often the cause of bugs in filenames.
>>

>> Cheers
>>

> Yes. There is no accent just a space as in "Documents and settings" or
> "My Documents" or "Mes documents". To check if there was really a
> 'space' problem, I have renamed "On Work" to "On_work" (with no space),
> and rcmd check does not work better.
>
> Rcmd check works fine only when the pgirmess folder is moved one
> directory up (so still on a path that still have 'space' in directory
> names, e.g. "Documents and Settings" and "Mes documents".
>
> Quite strange.

Windows historically had quite a short limit on pathnames (something
like 260 characters, or bytes), and also on command lines.  I don't know
what the current limits are, but R has the 260 limit coded into it, and
likely some of our other tools do too.  Your paths don't approach that
limit, but once you put several copies of them into one command line,
you would.  I suspect that's what is catching you.

Duncan Murdoch