[Rd] How to test package on Solaris

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Nov 3 15:32:47 CET 2011

On 3 November 2011 at 08:54, William Revelle wrote:
| Dear R developers,
|
| Is there a way to pretest a package on the Solaris-sparc and solaris-x86 systems equivalent to the win-builder check?

Nope, not as far as I know.  For Rcpp we are very much in the same boot.

There was word of an upcoming 'bin-builder' similar to win-builder, but it
hasn't materialized.  You and I don't have a vote in that matter, but I think
this is a well definied task for which monies from the R Foundation would be
well spent.  Or a motivated company from the R universe could earn some
decent and recurrent karma points...

| My psych package (1.1.10 and 1.1.11) passes all checks for the Mac on my system, on the win-builder checking system supported by Uwe, and then passes Kurt's tests to install on CRAN.  But it then fails when being built for the solaris systems.
|
| Rather than burden Kurt and Uwe and the whole CRAN distribution process with frequent attempts to fix the problem, it would be preferable if I could pretest on a solaris system and then upload the final result.
|
| I note from reading past queries to the list that this question has been asked before and the solution seems to have been some nice soul  volunteering to test a particular package.  A more general solution would seem preferred, if this is possible.

Correct. Matryn helped us recently with a patch for the solaris/x86 side of
things bringing the failure down to solaris/sparc only.  But our (ie Romain
and I) hands are tied as are yours.

Cheers, Dirk

| Thanks.
|
| Bill