[Rd] [R] NaN, Inf to NA

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat May 28 17:33:50 CEST 2011

On 27/05/2011 11:52 AM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

>>>      >   On 11-05-27 4:27 AM, Albert-Jan Roskam wrote:
>>>      >>   Aha! Thank you very much for that clarification! It would
>>>      >>   be much more user friendly if R generated a
>>>      >>   NotImplementedError or something similar. The 'garbage
>>>      >>   results' are pretty misleading, esp. to a novice.
>>>
>>>      >   I think that's a good idea.  The default methods are
>>>      >   documented to work on atomic vectors; dataframes are not
>>>      >   atomic vectors, so it would be reasonable to generate an
>>>      >   error.  (See ?is.atomic for a definition of atomic
>>>      >   vectors.)
>>>
>>>      >   I'll see if this causes a lot of trouble...
>>>
>>>      >   Duncan Murdoch
>>>
>>> Duncan,
>>> do you remember the issue of mean(), var(), median(),... etc
>>> that was the topic a few weeks ago ?
>>>
>>> I strongly advocated that  mean.data.frame() should become
>>> *deprecated*, and I would propose the same for the functions
>>> mentioned here.
>>
>> I think you may have misunderstood my proposal.  Currently is.nan, is.finite and is.infinite have no data.frame methods, so the default method is used.  The problem is that the default method is too permissive:  it operates on the data.frame by treating it as a list; then it returns FALSE for each list element.  (If there is only one row, it applies the test to the singleton in the column.)   This is pretty strange default behaviour.
>>
>> What I'm proposing is that the default method should trigger an error if you try to send it anything that's not atomic.  This gives sensible behaviour in most cases; the only one where it doesn't work is a list of singletons, which used to be handled sensibly, but will now fail.
>>
>> (There's still a question about what the answer should be for these functions when applied to character or raw vectors, which are both atomic.  I'm leaning towards returning FALSE for every element, which matches the current behaviour, but perhaps those should also generate an error.)
>>
>> I think this partially addresses Bill's objection, but not completely.  Someone could still put a class on an atomic vector, and that might not be handled properly by the default method.
>>
>>> People should  *apply (or *ply) on data frames, and not expect
>>> that all kind of functions have data.frame methods
>>> which are simply equivalent to basically  sapply(<df>,<function>)
>>>
>>> {and yes -- all this belongs to R-devel rather than R-help}
>>
>> Where I've moved it now.
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
>>> Martin
>

> I snipped some of the older content and added Bill.
>
> It seems to me that unless the 'x' argument is both atomic and numeric, these functions really don't have much utility, if you are going to implement standard default behavior and more rigorous error checking.

In the commit yesterday I signalled an error for character or raw vector
input, and this caused about 30 packages to fail testing.  I checked a
couple of them, and they both had applied one of the functions to
character data.  Before introducing the error, these tests were
basically harmless.

One example had code like this:

stop.na.inf <- function(x) {
   if(any(is.na(x)) | any(is.infinite(x)))
         stop("Either an NA or an infinite in the data: ",
              deparse(substitute(x)), ".\n",
              "   Eliminate those values or use imputation")
}

This little utility function was used a lot, including on character
data.  Since it is rather ugly to say which types are okay to pass, I've
reverted that part of the change and am running new tests, I will commit
soon.

(The test could be improved a little; I'll send advice to the author on
that.  But I don't think we should require x not to be a character vector.)

Duncan Murdoch