[Rd] Calling Rscript from Makevars

Martyn Byng Martyn.Byng at nag.co.uk
Fri May 20 18:04:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am trying to package some code to use with R and wanted to call
Rscript from within the Makevars file (I am trying to automate the
setting of the location of a third party library depending on what is
available / the system the package is being installed on).

If I just have a simple Makevars containing

PKG_LIBS= -lnag_nag -L/fserver/nagprod/FL22/fll6a22df/lib

the package is built without any errors, if I attempt to add a call to
Rscript, for example (which I think is the way that "Writing R
Extensions" recommends):

R_SCRIPT_NAME=Rscript
ifneq ($(R_HOME),)
  R_SCRIPT=$(R_HOME)/bin$(R_ARCH_BIN)/$(R_SCRIPT_NAME)
else
  R_SCRIPT=$(R_SCRIPT_NAME)
endif
R_ARCH=$(shell $(R_SCRIPT) -e 'cat(R.version$$arch)')

PKG_LIBS= -lnag_nag -L/fserver/nagprod/FL22/fll6a22df/lib

I get the following error:

* checking for file 'NAGFWrappers/DESCRIPTION' ... OK
* preparing 'NAGFWrappers':
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* cleaning src
make: Nothing to be done for `clean'.
* removing junk files
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* building binary distribution
* installing *source* package 'NAGFWrappers' ...
** libs
/usr/share/R/make/shlib.mk:3: /usr/lib64/R/etcx86_64/Makeconf: No such
file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/lib64/R/etcx86_64/Makeconf'.
Stop.
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'NAGFWrappers'
* removing '/tmp/Rinst1513764321/NAGFWrappers'
 ERROR
* installation failed

Any help / pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers

Martyn

Output from R.version:

platform       x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
arch           x86_64
os             linux-gnu
system         x86_64, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          11.0
year           2010
month          04
day            22
svn rev        51801
language       R
version.string R version 2.11.0 (2010-04-22)

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star. Th...{{dropped:4}}