[Rd] problem with location of libraries 64-bit (opensuse)

Detlef Steuer detlef.steuer at hsu-hamburg.de
Thu May 5 16:50:42 CEST 2011

Dear list,

there seems to be a problem with the standard location of R´s 64-bit libs
at least under openSUSE.

I had two user questions regarding the compilation of rpy2 for 64-bit systems.
Personally I don`t know rpy2 but maybe someone on this list can decide if
the mistake lies on R`s side or on rpy2´s side or in between.

R-devel is installed in these cases, I asked. Latest R-base or R-patched is used.

The following problem occurs (user report):

-----------------------
> Python 2.7 (r27:82500, Aug 07 2010, 16:54:59) [GCC] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> File "/usr/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/rpy2/robjects/__init__.py",
> line 12, in <module> import rpy2.rinterface as rinterface
> File
> "/usr/local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/rpy2/rinterface/__init__.py",
> line 66, in <module> from rpy2.rinterface.rinterface import *
> ImportError: /usr/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so: undefined symbol:
> _gfortran_concat_string
----------------------

So there are difficulties with  lapack/fortran libs.

An older version of apparently the same error can be found here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/animov@faunalia.it/msg00311.html

Another user reported the following:

----
After installing the R devel version with Yast on the 11.4 64 system there
was a link at this location :

/usr/lib64/libRlapack.so

and the actual file was here :

/usr/lib64/R/lib/libRlapack.so

I compiled R from source :

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-R-shlib
make
make install

The make install step did not copy the new *.so files to /usr/lib64/R/lib
therefore I manually copied the new libRlapack.so , libR.so and libRblas.so

After that the python rpy2 library loaded and all was ok.

I hope this will help you to identify this issue .
------

Because he had to manually copy over libs after installing from source maybe
there is an easy improvement on the side of R`s installation routines? Some ldconfig call missing or something?
Or is this an opensuse specific problem?

Any hint appreciated.

Detlef