[Rd] General "nil" reference class object

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed May 4 18:27:57 CEST 2011

Interesting idea.

One approach would be to test against the _environment_ of the prototype
object in the class definition.  Since the initialize method for a
reference class must call new.env(), one knows that a real object from
the class has a different environment.  Using that fact one could have
functions
   nullObject(Class)
to get the null, and
   isNullObject(x)
to test.

My feeling is that this approach is better for R than having one single
nil object, because nullObject(Class) would still be a valid object from
the class.

Something to mull over.
   John