[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Ted Byers r.ted.byers at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:53:11 CEST 2011

Do you keep  the RTools version specific to each version of R installed too?
If so, how do you manage that so that each version of R finds the right
version of RTools when it needs it?

I don't use RTools much, but I need it to install some fo the packages I use
from source since there are no binary distributions for them (for 64 bit
Windows).  I don't typically keep any more than two versions of R on my
machine at any one time, but I don't remove an older version until I have
verified that my R scripts work fine in the latest release.  So usually
there is only one version on my machine, but there will be two for a short
while after a new release.  But, my normal practice, as I describe here,
would be disrupted if R's installer wrote R's bin path to my system path (in
fact, I hate that for any software I use, even though in some cases there's
no way to avoid it).

Thanks

Ted