[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed May 4 05:25:04 CEST 2011

1. "Few Windows users use these commands" does not imply they are not
useful, and I have no idea how many Windows users really use them. How
do you run "R CMD build" when you build R packages under Windows? You
don't write "C:/Program Files/R/R-2.13.0/bin/i386/R.exe CMD build", do
you?

I think the reason we have to mess with the PATH variable for each
single software package is that Windows is Not Unix, so you may hate
Windows instead of a package that modifies your PATH variable.

For the choice of i386 and x64, you can let the user decide which bin
path to use. I believe the number of users who frequently switch back
and forth is fairly small.

2. Under most circumstances I just keep the latest version of R. To
maintain R code with old R versions will be more and more difficult
with new features and changes coming in. Disk space is cheap, but time
is not.

I'm talking about the default installation directory here and I'm only
wishing that the version string could be removed by default.

Anyway, I think I will go to the batch files approach if these
suggestions are going to be turned down. I just don't want to tell
other people to run Rscript.bat under Windows and Rscript under *nix.
I hope they can be consistent.

Regards,
Yihui
--