[Rd] Wishlist: write R's bin path to the PATH variable and remove the version string in the installation dir under Windows

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Wed May 4 01:44:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

I guess this issue must have been brought forward long time ago, but I
still hope you can consider under Windows (during installation):

1. put R's bin path in the PATH variable of the system so that we can
use the commands "R" and "Rscript" more easily;

2. remove the version string like R-2.13.0 in the default installation
directory, e.g. only use a directory like C:/Program Files/R/ instead
of C:/Program Files/R/R-2.13.0/; I know many people just follow the
default setting when installing R, and this version string will often
lead to many (unnecessary) copies of R in the system and brings
difficulty to the first issue (several possible bin directories);

I'm aware of some existing efforts in overcoming the difficulty of
calling R under Windows like the R batch files project
(http://code.google.com/p/batchfiles/), but I believe this is better
to be solved in R directly.

Thanks!

Regards,