[Rd] use scan("http://www.example.com/file.htm") with an hidden-fake IP adress

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Mon Mar 28 21:13:31 CEST 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Arthur Charpentier wrote:

> Dear users,
> I am currently using scan(,what="character") to read - automacally - some
> html pages,
> I was wondering if there was an option to "hide" my IP-adress, or to use a
> "fake" one ?
> I would like to chek if the website is using my IP-adress to change the
> content of the page (it is the price of airline tickets actually)
> I want to see if it is possible to do a request with some fake IP, to
> compare the prices,
> thanks for your help

You can't really change the IP address since that is where the server sends the result. That's why your request packet has your IP so the response can be delivered back to you. Obviously, you won't get anything if the IP doesn't match. The only way to make requests to a server from a different IP is to use another machine that has a different IP (e.g., a proxy server).

Cheers,
Simon