[Rd] Rd2pdf and Rd2dvi don't find texi2dvi

Tobias Erhardt tobias.erhardt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:23:59 CET 2011

Hello everybody

I'm am trying to build a pdf out of the Rd files that i wrote for a package, so that I can attach it to my thesis.

if i Run Rd2pdf (or Rd2dvi) I get this error massage:

Hmm ... looks like a package
Converting Rd files to LaTeX .
Creating pdf output from LaTeX ...
Error in texi2dvi("Rd2.tex", pdf = (out_ext == "pdf"), quiet = FALSE,  :
  Running 'texi2dvi' on 'Rd2.tex' failed.
Output:
You don't have a working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in
your PATH, and texi2dvi cannot proceed without one.  If you want to use
this script, you'll need to install TeX (if you don't have it) or change
your PATH or TEX environment variable (if you do).  See the --help
output for more details.

For information about obtaining TeX, please see http://www.tug.org.  If
you happen to be using Debian, you can get it with this command:
  apt-get install tetex-bin
Error in running tools::texi2dvi

The problem is, that i have a valid Tex installation and I am able to call texi2dvi in the shell, as it is in my path.

In R getOption("texi2dvi") gives me the correct path to texi2dvi "/usr/bin/texi2dvi"

I am running R2.12.2 on MacOSX 10.6.7 and have TexLive 2010 installed

Thanks for your help

best regard
Tobias