[Rd] Standardized Pearson residuals

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 17 20:22:08 CET 2011

Dear Peter and Martin,

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:08:18 +0100
 peter dalgaard <pdalgd at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Back to the original question:
> >
> >> The current rstandard() code reads
> >
> > ## FIXME ! -- make sure we are following "the literature":
> > rstandard.glm <- function(model, infl = lm.influence(model, do.coef=FALSE), ...)
> > {
> >    res <- infl$wt.res # = "dev.res"  really
> >    res <- res / sqrt(summary(model)$dispersion * (1 - infl$hat))
> >    res[is.infinite(res)] <- NaN
> >    res
> > }
> >
> >> which is "svn blame" to ripley but that is due to the 2003
> >> code reorganization (except for the infinity check from
> >> 2005). So apparently, we have had that FIXME since
> >> forever... and finding its author appears to be awkward
> >> (Maechler, perhaps?).
> >
> > yes, almost surely
> >
> >> I did try Bretts code in lieu of the above (with a mod to
> >> handle $dispersion) and even switched the default to use
> >> the Pearson residuals. Make check-devel sailed straight
> >> through apart from the obvious code/doc mismatch, so we
> >> don't have any checks in place nor any examples using
> >> rstandard(). I rather strongly suspect that there aren't
> >> many user codes using it either.
> >
> >> It is quite tempting simply to commit the change (after
> >> updating the docs). One thing holding me back though: I
> >> don't know what "the literature" refers to.
> >
> > well, "the relevant publications on the topic" ...
> > and now define that (e.g. using the three 'References' on the
> > help page).
>
> I count 5 actually... IIRC, the first two do not deal with glm diagnostics. The last two are by Fox, and, presumably, he is around to chime in if he wants. The middle one, by Williams, does define both standardized Pearson and standardized deviance residuals.

Though I don't have it in front of me, I recall that my Applied Regression text follows Williams and defines both standardized deviance and standardized Pearson residuals. As well, there are new editions of both these sources:

Fox, J. (2008) Applied Regression Analysis and Generalized Linear Models, Second Edition (Sage)

Fox, J. and S. Weisberg (2011) An R Companion to Applied Regression, Second Edition (Sage)

I'd take Williams as the definitive reference. I'll send a follow-up message if my memory proves faulty.

Best,
 John